Friday, September 23, 2016

The Weight of the World

Did you ever have one of those days where you feel like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders?  Nothing seems right in your home, in your family, in the world and there is simply nothing you can do about it.  Those kind of days it is hard to power through when all you really want to do is climb back in bed and sleep... thinking maybe when you wake up things will be different.

I had one of those days recently.  I learned that a dear friend lost her husband to a massive heart attack.  I knew her husband, and I know that my friend is hurting and I am not there to love, comfort and support her.  But God is.  If I am honest, even though God is with her, I am still sad.

A little later on the same day, I spoke with my son who has been job hunting for a really long time. He finally had a good job locked in, he had a start date, things were good to go and then there was a hiccup in his paperwork, and with his cell phone - he missed an important call and the company terminated the hiring process and hired someone else.  Heartbreaking news.  When he and I spoke on the phone we decided God is in this and there is a reason.   Acknowledging that God is in control of this situation doesn't make it any less painful.  I am still sad for my son and his family because this didn't work out for them.

Does this mean that I don't trust God?  Does it mean that I have no faith?  No.  It means I have a heart.  A heart that hurts for the people I care about.  A heart that feels what they are feeling.  I like that!

So I did what I always do with my sad heart, I took it to the Savior.  I told Him what I was feeling and you know what He said?  He said, "I know.  I understand.  Be still, child, and know that I am God.  I am in control and I have a plan."  In other words - rest in me - I am with you (and your friend and your son) - I have you (and your friend and your son) securely in the palm of my hand - climb on my lap and feel my embrace."  And so, I did.  I climbed up onto his lap, and taking a deep breath and releasing it with a sigh, I laid the weight of my world at His feet.

Today is a new day.  I woke up with the same left over sadness but today I was granted a new perspective.  I laid in bed looking out the window to see the leaves on the colorful trees blowing gently in the wind.  I saw the glorious sun and felt such gratitude it was overwhelming.  I wondered, can sadness and gratitude fill a heart at the same time?  I suppose it depends on the capacity of the heart.  I believe God has given me much heart capacity because I feel so many different things - sometimes all at the same time - so deeply and so passionately - though probably people would never know that.  I know many people with this same huge heart capacity - and I love that I am surrounded by them. They are a gift as I hope I am a gift to them.

The weight of the world is not mine to bear.  Yes, I will be affected by it - I will feel sadness, I will get disgusted, I will feel pain and sorrow but I have a Savior that knows, that understands, that cares.

The weight of the world is not yours to bear either.  Do you know my Savior?
Let me introduce you...His name is Jesus.  He knows.  He understands.  He cares.  Rest in Him. Climb into His lap and feel His embrace.  Pour yourself out to Him.  Lay the weight of your world at His feet.
He invites you to do just that!

"Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." 
Matthew 11:28   








    

No comments:

Post a Comment