Thursday, June 5, 2014

No Deal-Breakers!

No Deal-Breakers!

I recently wrote a blog about my cooking.  I readily admit I'm not the greatest cook.  My family learned to accept my lousy cooking and I am thankful for that.   I mean really, what choice did they have??  It wasn't like they could say - "Uh, mom, you're a lousy cook, that's a deal-breaker, we are outta here!" That aside, in thinking more about this, there is a lesson that gently melts and covers over my lousy cooking like butter melting on my patio blocks.  (i.e. my biscuits) 

I worked full time and was also raising 4 kids and caring for a household as well as serving in the church.  In the grand scheme of things, burning the biscuits practically was a-given.  I was dead tired, distracted by questions, and homework and the everyday goings on in a house full of people and dogs.  On those evenings that I served those hard as patio block biscuits, there were no complaints.  Maybe a few giggles, but no complaints.  I watched as each one spread butter on their biscuit and ate every bite!

In our home, my family recognized that life is not perfect, and people, including mom's, are not perfect.  They didn't complain but were gently accepting of my faulty cooking and loved me anyway.  Learning to accept another person in spite of their differences, in spite of their faults, with compassion and understanding is one of the most important aspects of a healthy relationship.

I have a little magnet on my file cabinet that says, "A true friend is one who thinks you're a good egg even though you're slightly cracked."  I think understanding and acceptance should apply to all relationships: parent - child, husband - wife and friendships.  And sometimes this can be hard!!

There is one relationship that never falters and that is your relationship with your Creator.  God accepts and understands and loves unconditionally, always.  There are no deal-breakers with God.



"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God  that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Romans 8: 38 & 39



No comments:

Post a Comment