Monday, May 30, 2016

Perfect Lemon-Butter Chicken

The art of making lemon chicken actually taste lemony has always eluded me.  However, not one to be stopped by even several unsuccessful attempts, I gave it one more try.  I came across a recipe in the "Our Best Pinworthy Recipes" magazine I got free with my subscription to Family Circle.  I had everything the recipe called for - which wasn't much - except the lemons.  After asking hubby if he was game for another try at Lemon Chicken and getting a thumbs up, I hopped in the car to go get me some lemons.

Obviously, since I am putting this in my blog, it was a success.  The perfect blend of pepper and tart lemon from an easy and simple recipe.  I have found in my years of cooking - easy and simple - usually equate to yummy.  And in this instance that is exactly true!!  In the magazine, I labeled this recipe as a "Keeper".

So here is the recipe.  I don't know who to give credit to except some wonderful cook that perhaps posted this recipe on Pinterest.  Thank-You, whoever you are!!!

Lemon-Butter Chicken Breasts
Start to finish - 30 minutes

What you need:
6      skinless, boneless chicken breast halves  (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)
1/2   cup all-purpose flour
1/2   teaspoon salt
2      teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
1/3   cup butter   (I used Imperial)
2      lemons, sliced  (I removed seeds)
2      tablespoons lemon juice  (I used bottled)
        Hot cooked rice   (optional - but I made some)

1. Place each chicken breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap.  (I put it in a ziploc bag) Using the flat side of a meat mallet, (I used a flat bottomed pan) pound each chicken piece lightly to 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick.  Remove plastic wrap.  In a shallow dish stir together flour and salt.  Dip chicken into flour mixture, turning to coat.  Sprinkle chicken with lemon-pepper seasoning.  (I put it on both sides of the chicken pieces)

2. In a 12 inch skillet cook chicken, half at a time, in the butter over medium-high heat about 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning once.  Remove chicken from skillet.  Add lemon slices to skillet; cook for 2 or 3 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.

3. Return all chicken to skillet, overlapping pieces slightly and arranging lemon slices around the chicken.  Drizzle with lemon juice.  (I added about 1/2 tablespoon more lemon juice because there wasn't much liquid in the skillet.)  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until pan juices are slightly reduced.  Transfer chicken and lemon slices to a serving platter.  Pour pan juices over chicken.  If desired, serve with hot cooked rice.  Makes 6 servings.    (We had rice, a salad and rolls.)

Per serving 258 cal., 12 g fat (7 g sat. fat), 95 mg chol., 725 mg sodium, 8 g carb., 0 g fiber, 27 g pro.

Bon appetit!!!

Next up from that same magazine - Spiced Pumpkin Doughnuts.  I ask you - who doesn't love doughnuts and  - added bonus - it just so happens that National Doughnut Day is Friday, June 3rd, 2016.   Who is game to come over and make doughnuts with me?  

No comments:

Post a Comment