Monday, August 1, 2016

Checking Account

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." Eccl 3:1

There is a time for everything - but, is there time for everything?  No one ever seems to have enough time to accomplish all they want to do in a day, a week, a month, yet we have all the time there is in each day, week and month.  The amount of time we have is what it is.  We can't extend it.  We can't carry it over.  We can't multiply it.  This looks like math...and that is sort of what time is.

Each day, we are gifted 24 hours - no more - no less.  It is as if those 24 hours were deposited into our checking account.  As we use the time allotted us each day it is as if we are writing a check against that 24 hours.  The one difference is that at the end of the day, whatever has not been used is lost. Our days are a use it or lose it proposition.  Which brings me to the next thought...doesn't that make HOW we use our time all that much more important?

The other night, I went upstairs to turn off my computer.  I sat down and feeling not really tired enough to go to bed decided to check email, my social media and the latest recommended pins for me for "just a quick minute".  I know you know where this is going.  I also know that you have probably done this same thing.  Before I knew it, I looked at the clock and it was 2:00 a.m.  Seriously!!  What a waste of time.  Now don't get me wrong, I love keeping up with what is going on in my friends lives. But I shouldn't be doing it at 2:00 in the morning.  That's just not good for my body and if truth be told, if I am going to be up till 2:00 in the morning, I would much rather it have been doing something creative, like sewing or writing or even reading a good book.

Since retiring, with only a few weekly commitments, I have my days free for the most part.  The Holy Spirit has really convicted me that I should be using this time much more wisely.  God deposits 24 hours into my time checking account every day as a gift.  Each check I write against it needs to be intentional and purposeful.  Wasting that gift is being ungrateful.  The Bible speaks to us about this in Ephesians 5: 15 & 16 when Paul writes: "Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."  I think perhaps we could use the word moment in place of the word opportunity to fully grasp what God is admonishing us to do here.  If we fail to make the most of every moment our days will be wasted, i.e. evil. Yikes!! That's pretty serious.

Is there time for everything?  I think the answer to that depends on how we write checks against our Time Checking Account. I am going to be a much better financial steward of my time.
How about you?


Benjamin Franklin said, "Doust thou love life?  Then do not squander time; for that's the stuff life is made of.  Lost time is never found again."

Willy Wonka on time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvOO1Whi_Gc






.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment