Friday, July 11, 2014

Early Learning

Early Learning

The wonder in a child's eye's as they discover something new is amazing.  I had a few young children over last week and I put out a tub of dried beans.  It was a mixture of lima, pinto, black, red, split pea, and black-eyed peas.  The assortment was actually quite diverse in color and size.  I thought it would be fun, and I was right.  To the tub, I added brightly colored ice cream scoopers.  I also added  brightly colored containers the shape of planting pots.  These were actually the containers that came with an easter egg dying set.   A couple plastic bowls and an empty clean liquid creamer bottle with lid so they could fill the container and pour out the beans were the final touches.

Oh my goodness, they absolutely loved it.  They scooped and poured and filled and dumped.  And as they were doing this it was almost as if I could see the wheels turning in their heads.  Think about all they were learning through this one activity: the difference between empty and full, weight, the sound of the beans pouring and dumping, the fact that if something is too big for a hole it will clog the hole, if you put too much in a container it will overflow, if you throw beans you are going to have to pick them up, if you throw beans they will get in someone's hair, if you step on beans they crunch, beans will split in two...the list is practically endless.

I read an article written by Ellen Booth Church.  She is an expert in Early Learning.  My favorite quote from her, one that I had posted in my preschool classroom is:

"It is with fun, hands-on experiences that children make sense of their world -
using observation, experimentation, analysis, application, and problem-solving."   
 
I think adults sometimes forget that little kids have to learn everything.  They aren't born knowing that if you fill a container too full, it will overflow.  They have to experiment and observe that phenomenon happening in order to learn what happens when a container is filled too full.
 
It is so important to allow children to try things, to experiment to figure things out - things like, if I fill a container too full of beans, it overflows.  In their mind they will think - What happens if I fill a container too full of water? or stones?  Do you see how one new learned thing leads to another?  
 
The early years of a child's life are busy - physically and mentally.  Little ones run!  They hardly ever walk.  Their attention span is short so they move from one thing to another like little busy bees.  And their minds are absorbing and processing every little thing in their world - now that's busy!!
 
Early learning is a daily, moment by moment thing for little ones.  Give them an opportunity to learn by giving them an opportunity to experiment, to try things, to observe, to figure things out for themselves.  We don't do our children any favors if we do everything for them. 
 
One of these little ones was putting their socks back on and said "I can't do it!"  I told the child, "Yes, you can, but if you get stuck, I'll help you!"  Guess what, they got their socks on and I didn't have to help.  Sometimes a child will say "I can't do it" but what they really mean is "I don't want to do it."   When the socks were on, we did high fives and I said, "See, I knew you could do it, you are strong and you are smart!"  The smile on that child was a mile wide.  If I put the socks on, no learning would have taken place.  Yes, it would have been faster, but in a speed vs. learning activity, I will take the learning side every time.  
 
If as a parent you need help in coming up with activities for your little one to give them an opportunity to learn and experience new things, there are tons of books available, Pinterest is an excellent source, go on the internet and just Google - early learning activities or preschool activities.  You won't believe all that is available.  I have heard mom's say I am just not creative, well then find someone who is - you can enroll your child in a Morning Out program so they get these kinds of experiences. Or if you are a working parent find a preschool or day care center that believes in offering all kinds of early learning activities so your child will be exposed to our wonderful world and the joys of early learning.  I can't stress enough how important it is.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment