Thursday, April 28, 2016

You Are As Old As You Feel

How does one know when they are old?  Ask a 4 year old and he will tell you old is about 23.  YIKES...I must be ancient, practically dead.  Rumor has it that you are as old as you feel.  So, if you are feeling good one day - you are not old, but feel lousy the next day, you are old.  Really????

How do you KNOW you are old?

Since retiring, what I have noticed is that I feel like I am starting to act more like an oldie but goodie.  For example, dinner is usually ready and served around 5:00 p.m.   That never used to happen.  I have a friend once that told me - "we are old, we eat around 5:00."  She's not old by any stretch of the imagination but the perception is that eating early is for the oldies.  I guess that makes me officially old - according to that definition.

I look at the waiters and waitresses in restaurants and most look like babies to me.  Like they wouldn't even qualify for a work permit let alone to be serving people beer.  A sure sign I am old.

My nose runs in the morning for no apparent reason.  I call it "old lady nose".  Yep, I am old.

But wait, there's more.  I can remember a time when I could spend all week in the garden, pulling and tugging on weeds, digging huge holes for trees and roses, and moving potted plants with ease.  Not so any more.  I spent several hours gardening yesterday, down on my knees pulling old tree roots from the ground...while I was down there, I thought I better pray - "Lord, please let me be able to get up."  He answered that prayer, but today - Oh man, I can't stop yawning and am I in a world of hurt.  My legs are sore, my back is sore, every muscle in my body is screaming at me...you idiot, don't you know you are old?

I ask myself though if getting old is really such a bad thing.  Young people like to help old people.  That's nice.  I now qualify for Senior Discounts.  Today I even saw a parking spot designated for Seniors,  However, it did not specify if it was for a Senior in High School or an old people Senior.  Either way, I qualify - I was a senior in high school once and now I am an old people.  AARP is delighted to help me make travel plans.  There are special educational classes Seniors can take - no homework, no tests, no grades.  They must know that we won't remember any of it anyway, so why bother.  

Yes, based on how I feel today, I think I am officially old.  But the good news is, I can take a nap anytime I want and my hair sparkles.  Gotta love that!!













No comments:

Post a Comment