Friday, April 29, 2016

Divine Inspiration

You have to understand that my mind is like a maze.  It takes twists and turns all over the place and I never quite know where it is going to take me.  Well, Mother's Day is coming up soon and today is my youngest sons birthday and this caused me to start thinking about Mary, the mother of Jesus.  I told you, twists and turns...

Imagine a young girl being visited by an angel. She was told she was about to have a baby. She had never been with a man, in fact, she was just about to be married.  She was told that the baby was going to be God's Son, and He would be a King.  WOW! Talk about overwhelming news.

Upon hearing all of this...humble, sweet Mary declares, "I am the Lord's servant. May everything you have said about me come true".  (Luke 1: 26-38)

She didn't say, What if....?  nor did she say, But.....!  She didn't try to negotiate - what's in it for me?  She didn't argue or say, Uhh, the timings just not good for that, you see, I am getting married soon.  None of that crossed her mind.  No. She said, "I am the Lord's servant".  What He wants is good with me.  I am ready and willing.  - Ah Ha - those great words -- I am willing.  (Be the Change on 4/27/16)

What God was asking of Mary was huge!  She knew it would be challenging. Yet she trusted God enough to know He would help her through it all.

How many times we feel a gentle nudge to do (or say) something and we ignore it. Granted, an angel doesn't usually appear to tell us to give $$ to a cause or to smile at someone, but you get what I mean.  What does happen is that the Holy Spirit speaks to our heart about a thing.  It is like a little niggle or nudge, a brief thought to do something or say something that will be of benefit to someone else.  I like to call that Divine Inspiration.  You see, God gave us the Holy Spirit as a guide, a helper to lead us to be better people.   (John 14: 16-17)  The Holy Spirits job is to give those little Divine Inspirations.  It  is our job to listen to them and then follow through.  When you get those feelings or thoughts, that is the Holy Spirit speaking to your heart.  (Galatians 5:25)

When we listen and do what our heart is telling us to do, we find blessings.  Blessings that are passed on to the recipient and blessings for us as the giver.   Mary was blessed by accepting what God had in store for her.  I am blessed by my 4 children - they are extraordinary people.  But Mary, Mary got to be the Mother of God's only Son - the Savior of the World.  Amazing blessing!!  Mary's cousin Elizabeth said to Mary,  "God has blessed you above all women, and your child is blessed." and "You are blessed because you believed that the Lord would do what He said."  Luke 1: 42 & 45  

I believe God's intent - His desire - is to bless us.  We need to play a part in receiving that blessing.  (Galatians 6: 7- 10)

So the next time Divine Inspiration hits, listen to it - do it - act on it - no matter how hard or easy.  Believe me when I say - You will be blessed!

 Oh, and regarding Divine Inspiration - A while back, there was an actor named Flip Wilson.  He played a character on his TV show that was not always very nice.  The character would then say, "The devil made me do it"!  That is NOT Divine Inspiration.   Just making sure we understand that.   (smile)


"For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.  If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too."  Romans 14: 17-18

"Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or imagine."  Ephesians 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment