Thursday, June 2, 2016

Sweet Sounds of Music

The movie 'Sound of Music" is a classic.  Seriously, it has all the elements of life - love, hate, discord, war, humor, determination, pride, jealousy, innocence, stubbornness, family and best of all music.

Music - melody of the heart.  Did you ever stop and think about what might have been going on in Beethoven's life when he penned those famous notes - DA, DA, DA, DA...!

Or what of the Jeff Barry/Peter Allen lyrics - "I love you, I honestly love you.  If we both were born in another place and time..."  In those words I hear a heart of unrequited love - sad, desperate, lonely.

Or another love song - "How great Thou art - How great Thou art! - Love for a mighty and caring God.  Yes, music is indeed melody of the heart.

When my young granddaughter used to come to spend the night - we would go through a regular routine at bedtime: pj's on, wash up, brush the teeth, get tucked in, say our prayers, fun kisses followed by sweet kisses then without fail she asks, "Grandma will you rub my back and sing to me?"  Those few words make the tornado my house has become with her visit - totally worth it.  "Grandma, will you rub my back and sing to me?"  "Sure honey", I say, "what do you want me to sing?"  Of course I already know because it's always the same.  "The Color Song," she says, "then the Mountain Song."
And so I sing, slowly and softly:

"Red and yellow and pink and green
Orange and purple and blue
I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow.... can you?
                                                            (Nursery Rhyme song - "I Can Sing a Rainbow")

As the music gently floats through the air, I can feel and hear her settling in for the night.  She's relaxing in the soft sweet sounds of the music.

"You molded every mountain, You poured out every sea
The world is Your creation and yet You're here with me
Maker of all things, You are a mighty King
And mighty is Your love for me.  (Yes), mighty is Your love for me."
                                                           ("Mighty Is Your Love" Written by Jana Alayra)

The music caresses and envelopes her causing her breathing to become steady.  She has slipped into the sweet sleep that comes to her from hearing Grandma sing of rainbows and God's love.  Melodies sung from a heart filled with love for this child that is my granddaughter.

Ahhh!  The sweet sounds of music - timeless, precious, meaningful and definitely an important part of our life.


"My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast;  I will sing and make melody.  Awake, my soul!"  Psalm 108:1

No comments:

Post a Comment