Thursday, June 16, 2016

Lost & Found Diamonds

Not once, but twice, did I lose the big diamond in one of my rings.  The first time I was at work in an insurance office.  At that time, each client had a paper client file.  We had over 1000 clients so we had a lot of file folders.  At the end of one of our busier days, I was putting files back in the file cabinet so they weren't on the floor and in the way of the cleaning crew.  As I pushed and shoved one especially large file back into a not quite large enough opening, the top of my hand scraped across the bottom of the file cabinet shelf and I heard a scraping sound and then saw my beautiful pear shaped diamond sail through the air to nowhere.  Seriously, it was as if it vanished in mid air for as quickly as it dislodged itself from my ring it also disappeared - all in the blink of an eye.  The front office was fairly small, so I thought to myself, it really couldn't have flown very far.  So the receptionist and I searched every square inch of the floor.  No diamond.  Next idea was that perhaps if fell among the files so we proceeded to pull out each and every file folder from that cabinet and shake the file.  Then we dejectedly returned all the files to their rightful places.  No diamond.  We looked all around the two desks, all around the chairs, on top of the file cabinets.  We spent hours looking for the diamond. Finally after much thought, I concluded the diamond was just plain gone.  The receptionist, too, had sadly assumed it was a lost cause.  As she sat down in her chair we were joking about the fact that someday we would probably find the diamond stuck in a file.  I was standing next to where she was just about to sit down.  As she slowly sat down on her chair my eyes followed her and I saw a small flash of something fall to the floor.  You guessed it, my diamond.  It had obviously lodged itself in the chair cushion and then dislodged as she sat down.  You can imagine the giggling and hooting and hollering - what was lost was now found.

2 years later - the same ring, the same diamond.  Only this time, I had absolutely no idea where I had lost it.  One sunny summer day as I was driving home, as I re-positioned my hands on the steering wheel, I noticed that my beautiful pear shaped diamond was missing.  It could have been lost anywhere.  It could have been lost for days and I just happened to notice it that day.  I felt sure this time I would never in a million years find that diamond.  After calling my husband to tell him the diamond was gone - again, my next thought was to pray.  I walked into the house and went to the bedroom to remove my now naked ring and put it in the jewelry drawer.  The sun was shining brightly into the room through the patio door and I stopped to admire the sunshine when I got to the foot of the bed.  For some reason, to this day I do not know what made me do it, I glanced down at the floor at the foot of the bed and there shining brightly in the sun was my diamond - what was lost was now found.

In so very many ways these two stories remind me of how God pursues each person - His treasures - His diamonds in hopes that one day they will be found.  That's why Jesus came. ("For the Son of Man (Jesus) came to seek and to save what was lost." Luke 19:10).  I once was lost, but now I am found and every single day, I thank God for finding me!

"Suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it?  And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.'  In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."  Luke 15:8-10

Perhaps you are feeling lost.  You, too, can pray!  Today might be a good day to be found!

There is nothing you have done, that God can not and will not forgive.  He is seeking you today as a lost diamond - let yourself be found!


"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.  As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in Him will never be put to shame. For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile - the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on Him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."  Romans 10: 9-13 and Acts 2: 21















No comments:

Post a Comment