Monday, June 6, 2016

Words - Part 2

In Words - Part 1 found on Saturday, June 4, 2016 the discussion led us to agree that words are a means of communicating - just one way to share thoughts, ideas and feelings.  We also agreed that words are very powerful.  They have the power to uplift, encourage and change a life or they have the power to crush a spirit or hurt a heart.  If you have not read Part 1, I'd like to suggest you take a look at it for some insight into the less positive side of our use of words and what God's Word has to say about it.
  
Today we are going to look at Words from another angle - the more positive use of words and some helpful hints on how God would have us check ourselves when using our words.

Colossians 4:5-6 "Make the most of every opportunity. Let the words you speak be full of grace."   This verse give us a clue as to God's expectation.  Grace filled speech means forgiving, kind, loving, truthful, compassionate, understanding, uplifting, encouraging, positive, gentle - you see where He was going with this?  It's not always easy but this is what God's Word teaches us.  I think it is what He expects.  God wants us to be cautious with our words - as if there was a huge Yield sign 

The book of Proverbs very clearly spells out what the expectations are: 
Proverbs 12:22  "The Lord detests lying lips, but He delights in those who tell the truth."
Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare."
Proverbs 16:21 "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant words are persuasive."

And one of my favorites: Proverbs 16:24 "Kind words are like honey - sweet to the soul and healthy for the body."  Does anyone remember or use the saying that goes - 'You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.'  There is such great wisdom in that saying.  Think of how smooth and flowing honey is - that is what kind words are like.  When you speak kind words to someone or they speak them to you  - the Bible teaches that it is sweet to the soul and actually healthy for the body.  The opposite would also be true - critical, sharp, condescending words are going to cause stress and make the person feel rotten about them self - that is not healthy.  Your words have the power to make or break someone.

As a child I grew up hearing words that empowered me.  "You can do or be anything you want."  "You are smart - figure it out."  These words caused me to believe I could do anything I want to do and pretty much, I have.  Here's an example:  It costs a fortune to have 2 big dogs groomed. I went and watched the groomers at Pet Smart and thought to myself, I can do that and so I taught myself to groom our dogs.  If I had not heard those equipping words all my life, I honestly don't think I would have had the courage to do many of things I have done over the years.  Words made the difference in my life.  Words delivered in a positive way that uplift and encourage will make a difference in your child, your friend or your spouses life, too!

God wants us to be cautious with our words - as if there was a huge flashing Yield sign in our brain.
James 1:19 "Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger."  If you are listening, you are not talking...(silence is golden) it is the talking that gets folks all riled up so be slow to speak (heed the flashing Yield sign) and slow to anger. Taking things slow allows time to think before acting or reacting.

So, a couple things God (and mom) would have us do before speaking:
1. Stop and think about the words you are going to say.  Remember what mom told you - If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.  Good advice.
2. Ask yourself - How would I feel if someone said this to me? or spoke to me in this manner? Remember the Golden Rule - Treat others as you would like to be treated.  (Matthew 7:12)
3. Ask yourself - Is what I am about to say - the truth? uplifting? encouraging? positive? respectful?
4. Am I speaking to the right person about this? Is my delivery gentle and heartfelt? (Proverbs 27:9)

I came across a quote by Tony Dorsett a former NFL football player that I really liked and want to share with you.   He said:
"To succeed...you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you."

That 'something' that he speaks of, might be someones words.  May you (and I) be the one delivering them.

Speaking words of blessing to you this day, my friends!  You can do anything you set your mind to. You have the power behind you to facilitate change. (Phil. 4:13) You, out of all of God's creation, became His prized possession.  (James 1:18b)  Your name is written on the palms of Jesus hands - He loves you that much!!  (Isaiah 49:16)  Think of yourself as God's favorite!  Embrace it!  I do.

I am thinking there might be a Part 3 to the message on Words....Hmmmm?? We shall see.


"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O God my Rock and my Redeemer."  Psalm 19:14

Image result for words quotes







Image result for proverbs 16:24



No comments:

Post a Comment