Friday, March 14, 2014

Doing What's Right

Doing What's Right

"Oh, I think you gave me too much change, " I heard the lady say to the cashier while handing her the extra dime.  The look of shock on the cashiers face was just as surprising to me.  Didn't everyone return extra change?  "Why, thank you, you're so honest," the cashier said, "but it's only a dime."

It really didn't matter whether it was a 10 cents or $10.  It was the right thing to do.  And doing the right thing is not always easy.

I know of a woman that gave her kidney to save her brother's life.  He'd been waiting and waiting for a kidney.  She was a match but he didn't want her to do it.  Finally, she told him, "It's the right thing for me to do. I want to do this."  So it went and he is still thriving and well.  As a matter of fact he's lived to be in his 80's.  Just imagine that!  Giving your kidney for someone else.  Reminds me of what Christ did for all mankind.  Only He gave His life!

Doing what's right is a matter of integrity.  It's not about the glory.  It's not about recognition or making an impression.  Doing what's right is private.  It's personal.  It's about doing something just because it's...well...RIGHT!

So I challenge you today.  Go out and do something just because it's the right thing to do.  Give a homeless person a bag of apples.  Return a long overdue book to the library.  Call that sick friend you have been avoiding. Thank your mail carrier.  Do something nice for your child's teacher.  Let someone that has a fidgety child go ahead of you in line at the store.  Pick up that piece of trash you didn't drop.

If everyone did one or two things every day just because it was the right thing to do, think of how much better our lives would be.  That's how life should be.  That's how I want my life to be - how about you?


Luke 11:28 "Jesus replied, "But even more blessed are all who hear the Word of God and put it into practice."

No comments:

Post a Comment