Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The PatienceTalk

The Patience Talk

"I didn't get milk, teacher," I hear someone call out from the back table.  "Okay, it's coming, please put on your patience hat," I say.
"We must wait our turn," I tell a student that has just grabbed a toy from another child, "That's called having patience."
Young children are not necessarily known for having patience, so I decide it's time to talk about patience with my class of 20 4 & 5 year olds.

"Does anyone know what patience is?" I ask. Several hands shoot up. "Patience is who the doctor takes care of when someone is sick," one student shares.  "Well," I reply, that word sounds like what we are talking about, but a doctor takes care of patients - patients are people that go to the doctor to get well."
Another hand goes up.  The child calls out, "My cousin is Patience."  A little disheartened, I reply, "Oh, that Patience is a name.  Your cousin's name is Patience."

I decide to try to explain a different way, "What about when I say I need you to put on your patience hats?  What do I mean?" I ask.   The student right in front of me on the floor gets excited - "I know, I know - you mean you want us to wait."  Another child chimes in, "Patience is when you have to wait a really long time."  Finally, I think they are getting it. I am hopeful.  "Yes," I say, "sometimes you do have to wait a long time and sometimes it's not so long.  But either way you are showing patience."  I think I am making progress.

"Can any of you think of a time you had to have patience?" I ask.  Another hand - I call on the child and he says, "I have patience when I am waiting for my sister to get out of the bathroom."  "Yes," I say, "sometimes we have to have patience then."  I don't really want to go there, but he does. CRUM!
He asks, "What's she doing in there for so long?"  "Well", I say, "she might be brushing her hair or putting on make up." The banter continues. "Why does she put on makeup?"  "Maybe because she wants to look nice."  Why does she want to look nice?"  "Well, maybe so she feels good about how she looks."  "But why..."   I interrupt.
"Maybe you could ask your sister when you get home.  Let's talk some more about patience."

"Can anyone else tell us about a time you had patience?" I ask hesitantly.  A hand in the back of the group goes up.  "Yes, when did you have patience?" I ask.
He says, "I had patience once when I had to wait in the doctors office while my mom got Botox."

"Oh....um....well.... yes, I imagine you had patience then," I say nodding an affirmation, "That's great!!"  I close my eyes and shake my head ever so slowly.   
Alrighty then!!!!  At this point, there just isn't a whole lot else I can say about patience.  First, because I am having difficulty keeping my composure.  Second, because I am afraid to - very, very afraid.  So, with a sigh and a smile I ask, "Who wants to go outside and play?"  


"As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience."  Colossians 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment