Monday, March 24, 2014

Grocery Store Angel

Grocery Store Angel

Have you ever been so broke, you honestly did not know where your next meal was coming from?  Well, I have.  This is a true story from many, many years ago.  But I remember it as if it were yesterday.

I walked into our very small local grocery store, knowing I had very little money to buy food for our family of 5.  My friend was behind the cash register.  We waved a greeting and I went about gathering a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk and a jar of peanut butter.  As I place the items on the counter, I tell my friend, "We can stretch these things until the next payday.  This is all I can get for now."  She nods in understanding and rings the first item.

Just then, a nice looking man in a blue suit and white shirt walked into the store and right up to me.  He casually bends down at my side and when he stands up again, he holds out a $20 bill and says to me "You dropped this."  Looking at the bill, and knowing full well I did not have $20, I shake my head and say, "No, that's not mine, I don't have $20."   He presses the bill into my hand and I stare down at it for a moment wondering why this guy gave me $20.  A split second later, when I look up, the man in the blue suit is gone.  I immediately run out the front door of the store which was literally 3 giant steps away - you guessed it - no man in a blue suit anywhere. There weren't even any cars pulling out of the parking lot.  He was just gone.

When I come back in the store, I return to a mighty unhappy line of shoppers, but I ask the man that was waiting in line behind me if he saw where the man in the blue suit went.  He replied, "What man?  I didn't see any man.  Are you gonna buy this stuff or what?"  So, I ask my friend who was still standing behind the cash register - surely she saw him, she was standing right there - "Did you see the man in the blue suit? Do you know him?",  I ask.  "No", she says, "what man?"

No one saw him come in.  No one saw him leave. No one saw him give me $20.  But I had a $20 bill in my hand that he gave me.

No one will ever convince me that God did not send a grocery store angel to care for me and my family that day. 

             "Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation."  
                                                                                            Hebrews 1:14

And He did it because He loves me.

            "Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God
             feeds them.  And how much more valuable you are than birds."  Luke 12:24

He loves you, too!

           "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has
            borne?  Though she may forget, I will not forget you!  See, I have engraved you on the palms
            of my hands; your walls are ever before me."  Isaiah 49: 15 &16

Believing it, is Life!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment