Saturday, March 22, 2014

It's A Dogs Life

It's A Dogs Life

What exactly does "It's a dog's life" mean?  It used to mean that life was hard.  But over time the meaning  changed.  Now it means, an easy life, without responsibility and full of love.  I can see why.

We humans dash about with activities to fill every moment of every day - you know what I'm talking about - the To Do list goes on and on and on, it's endless...working, cooking, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, soccer practice, piano lessons, PTA meeting, homework, church activities, yard work, ballet lessons, heading up the fundraiser or the talent show, and as the King of Siam would say, "etcetera, etcetera, etcetera".

Now think about dogs.  What do dogs do?  They EAT, SLEEP and POOP.  On a really busy day, they POOP twice.  That's pretty much it!  At least in my house it is.

Since retiring, I have been taking stock of how busy my life used to be - barely any time to actually sit down to a meal, hardly ever cleaned the house, up late every night with take home work and/or church work, meetings, volunteer work, night school, in addition to all the regular family and household stuff that needs to get done - busy - busy - busy - all - the - time! 

I have found in this taking stock period of my life, that in my busyness, I lost a lot of time with my kids and husband.  In my busyness I lost touch with friends.  In my busyness I failed to find rest or happiness - I was too busy.

My dogs on the other hand are never too busy to follow me from room to room all day.  It's just as easy to sleep in the office as it is in the kitchen.  My dogs are never too busy to run and grab a towel as a homecoming gift and greet me excitedly as I walk through the door.  Even if I've only been gone 5 minutes.  My dogs are never too busy to alert me to someone walking through the neighborhood.
They seem to just know what's important.   

I have learned a lot from the life of my dogs since retiring.  Before - I was too busy to see what their day looked like.  Now I know and it has been enlightening. 

We can have a life that is similar to that of a dog by figuring out what's really important to us, by setting priorities in our lives and learning to say NO!  Just remember, busyness does not equate to happiness.  Love, family, friends, relationships, faith, even our pets and sometimes work can bring  the greatest joy.  Cutting some of the busy things out of your life oftentimes makes it better.  Replace them with a family game night or choose at least one night a week for everyone to be home for dinner and talk.  Instead of working on that spreadsheet, read a good book.  Instead of sitting in front of your computer or the TV all evening, invite your spouse to play a board game.  We have to make an effort to think about what's important and then act on it.  Make it happen.  It's time to take stock.  Take a good long look at the things you do and decide who and what is really important.  You'll be surprised at the difference it makes when you stop some of the busyness.

So, eat, sleep, poop and be happy!!   To Life!!


Psalm 119:35  "Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found."

Psalm 86: 4  "Give me happiness, O Lord, for I give myself to you."

Luke 10: 41 & 42 "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

"Daisy"



No comments:

Post a Comment