Saturday, May 17, 2014

Change Happens

Change Happens

It just does!  Some people embraces changes and others fight them to the death.  I guess it depends on several factors - how it is going to affect you personally, how it is going to affect someone else, and whether you agree with it or not.

I personally find some changes very hard to embrace and others I am able to just go with the flow.  I have found that the above mentioned factors dictate whether the change is embraceable for me or not.

One factor I didn't mention - and it's a big one...it is much easier to embrace a change that you have been directly involved in making.  It is so very important to get the folks that are involved on board first - before changes are made.

I'll give you an example - let's say there need to be some changes in procedures in an office setting.  "Someone" creates the new procedures without getting input from the folks that are actually doing the work.  The new procedures are then implemented and mandated.  The people in the trenches now feel like they have no value, in essence they feel their experience in doing the work counts for nothing.  And you know what happens when that change is made, the worker bees follow the new procedures but diligently look for fault in them and there is usually much grumbling and lower morale in the office.  You see, the problem isn't necessarily that a change had to be made but more in how the change was made and what words were said when the change was made.  I caution managers to be careful in how changes are made.

Changes happen all the time.  Some changes are universal - like decorating, fashion or make up trends. They are just accepted and no big deal. ( I never heard any grumbling when orange shag carpeting went out of style.)   Other changes though, hit very close to home and they cause very personal, very real heartache.  These changes are hard to accept and understand.   Be careful not to allow them to cause bitterness though.

Yes, change happens all the time and sometimes I don't like it.  There's one thing I know will never change and that's God's love for me.  This gives me great comfort in an ever changing world.


"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."  Romans 13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment