Thursday, May 1, 2014

I Don't Have Girls!

I Don't Have Girls! 

My first child was a boy.  We were young and didn't really have a clue so we didn't know to hope for a boy or a girl.  We knew we would be totally happy with whichever the child was.  And we were.  Though I will admit we only had a boys name chosen.

Child number 2 was a boy.  At the time we had our children there were no tests to find out what the sex of the child was so we just had to wait and see.  This added an air of mystery and excitement to the birth.  On the way to the hospital with number 2, we chose a boys name.

When I was growing up I dreamed of being a mom.  And I told people I wanted 10 boys.  I felt like I was on my way to those 10 and was happy as a clam.  I was still very young and still very clueless.   

Child number 3 was - you guessed it - a boy.  He was HUGE!!!  And I knew it!!  OUCH!!  So the pediatrician comes in after checking him over and says, "There is only one thing wrong with him." Immediately I start thinking he is sick or doesn't have all his fingers and toes or something worse is wrong with him.  While I knew we would love him no matter what, it was scary.  I guess the doctor could see the fear in my eyes as I shakily asked, "What's wrong?"   He got this little grin on his face and laughingly said, "He's a boy!"  Oh that!! Yes, another boy.  There was 5 years difference between #2 and #3, so by this time my desires for our family were changing a little bit.  10 boys just didn't seem like a sensible thing to want any more.  I was hoping for a little variety this time around and so I must admit, I was a little disappointed.  But like all mom's, I fell in love with him the moment I held him and the disappointment was forgotten and so was the pain.

Several years later, we were expecting yet again.  Number 4 is on the way.  I determine that I just don't have girls so I do not allow myself too much hope.  But, just enough to pray, promising God if He gives me a girl, I will name her after His Son's mother, Mary.   I think the Bible says we are not to test God or try to make deals with Him, but at the time I didn't know that.  Anyway, we go to the hospital because 'it's time'!  I finally get wheeled into the delivery room, and the new baby, Number 4, is born.

My doctor announces, "It's a girl"!  I, in my infinite wisdom, do not believe him and say, "Quit kidding around, I don't have girls, remember."  He says to me, "No, really, it's a girl!"  I still don't believe him and am nearly in tears because I think he is being so mean.  I say, "That's not funny!"  He takes the baby from the nurse and holds it above my head so I can see the body parts or lack thereof and says, "Look, really, it's a girl!!"   When I finally realize it really is a girl, after giggling in sheer delight, what I think of is my promise and how good God is to answer my small, weak prayer and give me a little girl.  BTW, her name is Mary.

God hears and answers prayer, always.  He's just like that!  It may not be the answer we are hoping for, but it might be. I had a girl!  Just sayin'!    

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests."  Ephesians 6: 18a

"In the morning, O Lord, You hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before You and wait in expectation."  Psalm 5: 3

"For You are great and do marvelous deeds; You alone are God."  Psalm 86:10

"For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, Your eyes saw my unformed body.  All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be."  Psalm 139: 13-16  

   


No comments:

Post a Comment