Thursday, May 8, 2014

Just Helping!

Just Helping!

When I was growing up, my dad traveled out of town usually one week a month for business.  This left my mom alone with 3 small kids one week out of every month.  I was the oldest, and I have a brother that is 3 years younger than me and another brother that is 4 years younger than me.  So as you can imagine, my mom had her hands full.

A little more background to add to the story, she didn't drive.  So when my dad was gone and even sometimes when he wasn't gone, she would pile my two little brothers in the wagon and the 4 of us would walk to the grocery store.  We didn't live in a place like sunny California where it never rains, no, we lived in Chicago.   So rain, snow, heat, wind, whatever the weather we plodded to the store on foot as needed.  If we needed to go to the doctor, she'd walk and/or carry the littlest of us all to the bus stop and we'd take the bus to the doctors office.   We walked or took the bus everywhere.

To add even a tad bit more to her story, when we got a little older and were in school, she worked full time.  Oh, and to add a little additional income to the household budget, she took typing jobs and would type (on a typewriter) into the wee hours of the night while sitting at our kitchen table. 

Needless to say, her life was not easy.  But she never complained.  She did what she needed to do.  She was what I would consider a super mom of her day!

She was patient and kind and loving but had some stress before stress was a household word.  Kids in the best and easiest of circumstances can be trying.  We were no different.  We were kids.  And all parents get mad at their kids once in a while.  Well, that day came.  One of the boys, did something, I don't remember what t was, though she does, I'm sure.  I imagine it was my middle brother (don't hate me if I'm wrong brother)  and mom got really mad.  Like really, really fed up, outrageously, I'm done, I've had enough, mad. 

She was fuming and recognized that she might actually be so mad she would lose control so she shouted at us - "That's it, I'm leaving!"  We were all crying and carrying on because mom was leaving.   Mom, headed toward the basement door and just as she reached the door to go down to the basement, she hears a little tiny squeaky teary eyed voice from my youngest brother that says, "I'll get your suitcase!" 

That about did her in!!!  She was not amused.  After that, she was down in the basement for a long time, probably counting to like a million.  Counting to 10 just would not do it this time.  She was just leaving to go calm down in the basement, but to a kids ears she was leaving for good.  And sweet thing that he was, he was just helping.

Mom's have a lot on their plates and I don't mean food.  I mean in life.  This is a funny family story and we share a good hearty laugh every time we talk about it.   Mom laughs even harder than we do!!   But there is a lesson here, too, for moms and for kids.

My mom spent every moment on others - her kids, her husband, her parents, her girl scout troop, her employers, her church - always others.  She needed time for herself and she didn't get that.  So the lesson for mom's, take time for yourself, even if it is just going in the basement and reading a book or counting to a million.

The lesson for kids, recognize that mom needs help sometimes. Clean your room without her asking, offer to do the dishes, leave her alone for a minute, ask dad to help you find your school book - he has eyes, too! 

Mother's Day is coming up - now's the time - make her feel special, make her know you love and appreciate her.  One year my kids asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day and I told them, I wanted a day all to myself.  They obliged and it was heaven!!  Not that I didn't love them, but I just needed to reconnect with myself and be me - not someone's mom.  Mom's need that once in a while.  And moms - it is okay to need it.

                                     My  Mom on her 85th Birthday!!  Mom, you're the Best!!!


Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character

10 [b]A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
 

                                                               Proverbs 31: 10 - 31




No comments:

Post a Comment