Monday, May 12, 2014

Work Ethic

Work Ethic

Everyone has heard the grandpa story - 'when I was a youngun', I used to walk 5 miles to school - barefoot and in the snow'…we all laugh about this and have a hard time believing it, but guess what - some of those stories were actually true.  I'd like to share my story and then tell you why I do what I do. 

I have been working regularly since I was in 8th grade.  When I was just 12 years old, I babysat for 8 children every day after school, I made them dinner and prepared their lunches for the next day and then I cleaned up the dishes so when their mom got home she could bath them and send them to bed.   I went to work at a woman's clothing store when I was 15 - I rode the bus to and from work and my salary was $1.00 hour, plus a 20% discount on all my purchases.   For a teenage girl that was a dream come true.  I got married when I was just 17 and I am married to the same man - it's been 43 1/2 years now.  We have 4 grown children and 6 grandchildren.

Over the years I've had lots of jobs - I've been an elementary school  teacher, had an in home day care center, sold Fuller Brush and Shakley Vitamins door to door,  I had a home sewing business,  I am a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant, I was a preschool teacher, I worked in the insurance business for nearly 20 years and I have worked in Children's Ministry both as a volunteer and as a paid staff member in church for almost 40 years. 

My husband was transferred from Chicago to California in 1985 and I got my first insurance job in a mailroom of a medium sized agency in early 1986.  I worked my way up to a Personal Lines Customer Service Representative by working hard, doing my best and being loyal to my employers.  I changed insurance jobs in 1988 and went to work at a much smaller insurance agency where I also worked hard, did my best and gave 110%.  I worked closely with the owner and we grew the agency from 3 employees to 12 - my areas of responsibility grew also.  Instead of just being responsible for customer service, I was responsible for the Office Management and soon the Human Resources.   As you prove yourself loyal and trust worthy in small things, you find yourself being asked to handle bigger things.  In 1995 I went to work for a much larger insurance agency as the Office Administrator.  Over the years I did many things for that agency, proving myself as a good employee and always giving my best - coming in early, staying late, going above and beyond, doing whatever was asked of me, even doing some things that I wasn't asked to do.  You might be laughing to yourself - saying this woman is a fool - why would she work longer and harder than she had to?   Why?  It's simple - Because  the Bible tells me that whatever I do, I need to work at it with all my heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.  The Bible also tells me that I need to obey my employers and not just when he or she is looking but all the time.  That's called integrity.  That's what people call a good work ethic.

A good work ethic is what earns you respect in the work place or anywhere, even as a volunteer worker.  A good work ethic is what gets you raises and promotions in your job.  A good work ethic gives you personal satisfaction.   A person with a good work ethic is very valuable to an employer.  It's important.

I know many people that always do their best and have a good work ethic.  No matter how big or how small the task, no matter how easy or difficult, they do it with great gusto, they do it well and they finish it, right down to cleaning up after it's done.  I have a great deal of respect for these types of people.  The reason is - they have a great deal of respect for themselves.  You see, what they and I have learned is that any job done is a reflection of the person that's done the job.  If you have a good work ethic, you will do a good job and that reflects well on you!  The opposite is also true. 

It's a choice you make each time you do a job, or your homework, or a project, or anything, anywhere, anytime.  Will I give it my all or not?  The way in which you do anything is a reflection on you.  How do you want what you do to reflect on you?   It's really your choice.   


"Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right." 
                                                                             Proverbs 20:11  

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you  and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.  Whatever you do work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." 
                                                                            Colossians 3:22,23 







  

No comments:

Post a Comment