Thursday, May 29, 2014

Treasure

Treasure

There is a saying that goes "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."  I have found that "treasure" is in the eye of the beholder also.

Treasure, like beauty, can be anything - words, people, things, sights, sounds.  Treasure, like beauty, can be found anywhere - inside, outside, in a purse, on a curb, in a box, on a shelf, in a pocket, under a couch, in an attic, oh gosh, the places are endless.

Even animals have treasure.  Our Maggie, will drop down on all fours and stick her nose as far under the couch as she can and then frantically paw under there trying to get her treasure - an old ratty tennis ball.

My husband and I were out an about last weekend and as we turned the corner I spotted a doll house on someone's curb.  It was beautiful from a distance and it looked like it was handmade.  Of course my husband drove on by reminding me I already had 2 doll houses.  But this one was different.  It was made of wood, obviously lovingly for a daughter or granddaughter.  I had to just go see it.  When I got there, I could see that it was indeed handmade.  It needed some work, but with some creativity and a little elbow grease it could be exquisite again.  I thought to myself, who says I have to keep this doll house - it is a treasure for perhaps a little girl I know.  So I took pictures and sent them out inquiring.  This treasure was just too good to pass up.  I found a taker but the doll house wouldn't fit in my car.  So as luck would have it my son lived nearby and we plopped it into his wife's truck for safe keeping.  Soon after, we brought it to our house and unloaded it, extra pieces and all.  You see, I saw potential, I saw what could be with this dollhouse.  I saw some little girl's parents or aunty pouring love into this dollhouse to refurbish it, just like the original dad or grandpa did.  I saw a little girl spending hours playing and using her imagination.  I saw delight and joy in her eyes.  I saw a treasure.

My husband's dad passed away earlier this year and the things his dad left behind were all sent here.  These are treasures left for his children and grandchildren - old photos, his paintings, little things he saved that meant something to him.   These are treasures of a life remembered.

As I write this blog each day I am reminded of the treasure I have in my memories, the treasures I have in my family, the treasures I have in my friendships, the treasures I have all throughout my home, the treasures I find in God's Word - all things that are of value to me.

It's the weirdest thing, I am getting all emotional about "treasure".  The word is so huge!!!  It encompasses everything from the tiniest pebble or one little sequin that a child finds and asks his teacher to hold for him to God's love which is immeasurable.

Treasure is in the eye of the beholder.  What's your treasure?  Think on that and thank God -  for they are gifts.  Gifts to be treasured.


"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  James 1:17


"But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."  Luke 2:19


"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Matthew 6:21

No comments:

Post a Comment