Saturday, May 3, 2014

Littering -- Really??????

Littering -- Really??????

There are a couple things that I would call pet peeves of mine.  To avoid tonight's blog from being a novel I am only going to get on my soapbox about one of them.  Okay, here I go, I'm climbing up on the box...

Littering - really????  Come on...there are trash cans everywhere.  I just don't get why people think it is okay to set their cup down in the middle of a parking lot and drive away.  Or that it is okay to throw things out a car window.  Or, worse yet, be walking down the street and throw a can or straw or anything down on the ground when they could have put it in a trash can in like 5 more steps down the block.  How lazy can a person get??

Seriously, I've seen these things happen and you probably have too!  One time my children were following me like little ducklings through a parking lot and in between parked cars.  As we approached one of the vehicles, suddenly, the person on the drivers side of one of the cars threw a cigarette butt out his open window.  It landed dead on at my feet.  I froze and looked down at the cigarette butt.  My little ducklings froze - (now if this were a funny movie, they all would have crashed into each other) - but this was not a funny movie - no sirree.  I thought I heard one of my children say,"Oh, no, what is she going to do?"  They were right to worry and wonder.  It was drilled into them that God gave us a beautiful earth and it is our job to take care of it and that includes putting trash, no matter how small, into the proper receptical - i.e. a trash can.

Well, the litterbug in question was not going to getaway with this infraction.  I bent down and picked up the cigarette butt (I know gross!!) and I very politely tossed it back into his open window and said, "Shame on you!  You are old enough to know better."  Then my little ducklings and I proceeded to our destination.

It is inconceivable to me that with all the talk about recycling and the state of our earth, that people still litter.  I mean how hard is it to keep a little plastic trash bag in your car.  (Oh, and while we are on the subject - spitting gum out on the ground is the same as littering.)  And all this is not even to mention the animals that are affected by all the trash people leave behind at the beaches, or the fishing lines that entangle a ginormous whale so thoroughly that it can not swim. Yikes, people, think!!!  Think about what you are doing and how it affects our earth, our environment and God's glorious creatures.  Take responsibility for the trash you create and clean up after yourself wherever you are!!  News Flash!!!!  There is no "Earth Maid" that comes around and picks up after you.

While this issue has been presented in a slightly humorous light, it is far from humorous. Please take it seriously.  Don't litter.  Please!

Click below to see Peanut's story:
Peanut the Sea Turtle







"The Lord God placed the man in the Garden of Eden to tend and watch over it."  Genesis 2: 15



No comments:

Post a Comment