Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Are You Willing?

Are You Willing?

Once again, I reflect on a dearly loved, very, very short story found in the book of Mark, Chapter 1.

Jesus had a very busy life.  In his short ministry He spent the majority of His time, with people - teaching, healing, listening, always with compassion and love.  Well, except that one time with the Pharisees, oh and the time in the Temple.  He was not too happy that day.

Anyway, this one little story says so much about who Jesus was.  One day, a man with leprosy tracked Jesus down and begged Jesus on bended knee to heal him of leprosy.  The man said, "If You are willing, you can make me clean." (Mark 1: 40)

"If You are willing?"  "If You are willing?"  This was Jesus he was talking to.  Jesus the teacher, Jesus the healer, Jesus the lover of all men, women and children, Jesus friend to sinners.   I wonder, did this man doubt that Jesus would help him.   No, I don't think so.  I think the man with leprosy was speaking from a place of faith.  I think he was saying, I know You can make me clean - if you just speak the words or will it to be so, it will be.  I think the man's words meant - If you want to, I believe You can heal me.

And so, "Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out His hand and touched the man.  "I am willing," He said.  "Be clean!"  Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cured."  (Mark 1: 41, 42) 

Notice here, Jesus says, "I am willing."  Jesus was saying, "I want to heal you."  The man with leprosy didn't need to do anything but ask and Jesus did it.

Now let's turn the tables.  How often does Jesus ask us to do simple things like smile at a stranger, give a little money to a cause, volunteer in church, feed a homeless person, make a phone call? Are you willing? Sometimes, He asks hard things like become a missionary, give up your home and go live on the streets to minister there, walk away from your job and trust Him with your future.   Are you willing? Share the gospel.  Are you willing?  Pray.  Are you willing?  Be kind.  Are you willing?  Love your neighbor.  Are you willing?  Have faith.  Believe.  Trust.  Surrender.  Are you willing?

Are you?

I am so very glad that Jesus was willing to go to the cross for me and for all mankind.  I am so very glad He willingly loved me though I was unlovable.

He asks so little of us in comparison.  I am willing to serve Him all the days of my life!  Are you? 

What is Jesus asking of you today? Are you willing?


"A man with leprosy came to Him on his knees, "If you are willing, you can make me clean." Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out His hand and touched the man. "I am willing," He said. "Be clean!" Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cured." Mark 1: 40-42         

No comments:

Post a Comment