Monday, April 21, 2014

Adventures and Misadventures Driving With Mom

Adventures and Misadventures Driving With Mom

I get lost on a regular basis.  Of course to my then small children who might worry if we were lost we used to call it "being on an adventure!"  Doesn't that sound way more fun and way safer than being lost?  That was then.  Now, I say I am "directionally challenged". That would be the politically correct terminology for "a person that regularly gets lost."  Wouldn't you agree?

Truly, we had so many misadventures in our vehicles, I am amazed any of us lived to tell about them, let alone laugh at them.  For example, we had a 1963 dark blue Rambler American.  This was a basic, absolutely no frills model. Crank windows (Does anyone even know what that is any more?), no carpet, just rubber floor mats, we are talking b-a-s-i-c!  Her name was "Bubbles".  We didn't name Bubbles, we just inherited her name from the 20ish yr. old young lady we purchased the car from.  We kept the name because it was kind of cute for a 1963 Rambler.

Well, one day the boys and I were heading out on an errand, we all piled into Bubbles.  Parent in the front seat, kids in the back.  As we are tooling along the kids are having a blast in the back seat.  I can hear lots of giggles and am so pleased that the boys are getting along and having fun.  When I glance in the rear view mirror to witness their enjoyment, I see 2 little boys heads kind of bobbing up and down - the boys were bouncing up and down actually.  You see, it turned out that Bubbles floor was rusted out and the boys were bouncing on the rubber floor mats in the back seat.  Picture this - the only thing between their little bouncing feet and the road that was rushing under the car was those very basic rubber floor mats.  YIKES!!!

Here's another car story  - This time we owned a 4 door bright yellow Dodge - I have no idea what year and I think it was a Dart.  The car was new to us, but gently used by other folks.  Anyway, most of my driving was around town, taking kids here and there, going to the store and to the mall.  One cold winter day, I was driving the kids to school.  We missed the bus.  The roads were snowy but not slippery.  As I turned left off of Pine Hill Road, I here my older boy shout - MOM!  I quickly glance back only to see my older son hanging on to his younger brothers coat for dear life while the younger son is half in and half out of the now open right rear passenger car door.  The previous owners failed to let us know that the right rear passenger car door had a habit of flying open on left turns.  Well, that was our car, so from that day forward, I could be heard shouting all over the neighborhood, "Left turn coming up!"  and the children knew to scoot over to the left side of the back seat and pull tight on the right rear door handle so the door didn't fly open.   By the way, when I saw what was happening in the back seat, I quickly braked, the door closed and we continued on to school.  Just another fun day driving with Mom.

These and so many other misadventures have given me cause over the years to realize just how blessed our life has been.  God has been a good and faithful protector over and over again!   He promises to rescue and protect those that love Him.  I have found Him to be a keeper of His promises.

"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him;  I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name." 
Psalm 91:14

""I will praise God's name in song and glorify Him with thanksgiving."  Psalm 69:30








No comments:

Post a Comment