Sunday, April 6, 2014

What Shapes Your Thinking?

What Shapes Your Thinking?

Everyday we are bombarded with countless messages via e-mail, social media, telephone, television, magazines, billboards, conversations, movies, even junk mail.  It is never ending.

How much of what you see or read or hear influences your way of thinking?  How many of these things subtly slip into your mind and convince you to think differently about someone or something?
It's hard to resist the impact that all these messages have on your thinking.  It is hard to put up a wall and not let them influence you in some way.  The "world" has a sneaky way of creeping in and causing havoc in our minds.

I can remember when I was a young stay at home mom, I watched the "Soaps" - Soap Operas we called them then - I'm not sure what they are called now.  You'll know why in a moment.  I wouldn't miss my favorites.  I found I was transferring what I was watching happen on the television to my real life.  Now, granted, I was young, but, I actually started to think I saw things in my marriage that seemed to be similar to what was happening in the soap opera. It wasn't true of course.  Basically, I was getting brainwashed/influenced by what I was watching.  Luckily a very wise older woman saw what was happening and brought me back to reality.  I NEVER watched a soap again.  (That's why I don't know what they are called now.)

The point here is, be careful!!  Be cautious about what you read, what you watch, what you listen to, and who you talk with.  Everything influences your way of thinking.  It can be for the good or for the not so good.  The same applies for your children - maybe even more so.  Be careful, monitor what they watch.  Are they seeing kids be disrespectful to their parents and each other?  Read the book before you give it to them to read.  What is the message?  Is it good and wholesome?  Look through the magazine before handing it over.  What kind of pictures are in there? You get to choose what goes in your mind and in the mind of your child.  Choose wisely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment