Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Ode to a Triple A Angel of Mercy

Ode to A Triple A Angel of Mercy

All for a Reuben sandwich...
After working 5 hours up at church sorting books for our new kids library, I remember that I promised my husband Reuben Sandwiches for dinner. Ooops!  Not one to go back on my word, I head to the grocery store.  I gather the kraut, bread, Thousand Island and some donuts (don't ask!) and head to the deli.  I ask for a pound of corned beef.  Whaaaat?!? No corned beef?!?!?  NONE - in the whole store - not even pre-packaged.  I set all my items down at counter 1 as I walk out of the store empty-handed and just a little bit disappointed. 

I head to the store on the other side of town and do a repeat - pick up kraut, bread, Thousand Island, donuts and head to the deli.  I look in the meat case - uggh! I do not see corned beef.  "May I have a pound of corned beef please?" I ask.  The girl heads to the back room and when she comes back - SCORE!!  she has a brand new chunk of corned beef to cut for me.  My mind tells me I am being rewarded for not being a stinker at store #1.

After making my purchases, I head home.  By this time it is pouring down rain.  Suddenly, BAM!.  Oh no, I think to myself, what did I hit?  I start to make a U-turn to go back and investigate when I realize the BAM! was my tire.  I now have a flat.  It's pouring rain.  And I've just been through Reuben Sandwich hell.  I turn the corner cautiously and park the car in front of someone's house.  Knocking on their door, I explain why my car is parked there and that I will be back after dinner and after I have a chance to call Triple A.  They are gracious and understanding.

I call the person who always has my back and for whom the Reuben's are - my husband.  He comes to get me and the groceries.  When we get home we decide not to ask Triple A to come out in the pouring rain that night and decide we'll call in the morning when it is not supposed to be raining.  We then begin the make Reuben Sandwiches and Tater Tots and with mouths watering and tummy's grumbling we work side by side in the kitchen.   By this time, it is about 8 p.m.   My husband is very precisely layering the corned beef on the first sandwich and he calls out to me "Where's the swiss?"
Just shoot me now!!!!!  I forgot the swiss.  So.................you guessed it , I once again head out into the pouring rain, hop in the good car and head toward grocery store #3 for the swiss.  Finally, we are good to go on the Reuben Sandwiches.

I bet you thought the story was done and are wondering how Triple A got in the title - well, here it comes...
Next morning - it's not quite so rainy so on foot, I head toward the parked flat tire car.  Coffee in one hand, umbrella dangling from the wrist of the other.  I call Triple A when I get there and the Triple A dude taking my call is delightful.  Understanding, supportive, caring - "Are you parked in a safe area he asks?"  "Are you away from traffic?"  "I'm sorry this happened", he says, "Eddie's Towing will be there in 30 minutes, around 10:14."  I settle in, sip coffee, respond to a couple texts and wait.

Sure enough, right on cue - 10:14 arrives and so does Eddie's Towing.  Hey, it's Jimmy - he took care of another flat for me last summer.  By this time, it's raining again but Jimmy smiles, says Hi, and goes to work.  I tell him I've dubbed him an angel of mercy - coming out in the pouring rain to help like he does.  He likes that and says, "Good thing I'm not made of sugar." "Uh, do you have the wheel lock?"   With a puzzled look, wide eyes and very raised eyebrows, I reply, "The what?"  So, I call hubby, again.  "Found it!!!", I shout to Jimmy.

I hold my umbrella over Jimmy as best I can but by the time he's done - he's pretty much soaked.  He tells me he's going to fill my spare tire with a little air and does so.  Then I watch as he very carefully rewinds the air hose and gently places it back on the rack.  I think to myself, he really likes his job.

"All set," he says, with a smile and a wave.

"Oh wait," I call out to him, "Can I read you your poem?" And so I read:

Summer, Winter, Spring and Fall
It doesn't matter at all
Sunny, Cloudy, Snowy, Rain
What's it they say - no pain, no gain!
God bless you, Jimmy at Triple A
You've absolutely made my day!

I read the poem to my Triple A angel of mercy and I think even through the pouring rain I can see a little blush going on!  "Aw", he says, "Thanks."

We each go our separate ways, but I feel sure we'll meet again because it's a small world and that's just life!

Thank you, Jimmy!!

"Blessed is he who is kind to the needy."  Proverbs 14: 21b   

No comments:

Post a Comment