Sunday, April 13, 2014

In the Desert

In the Desert

Are there ever times when you wonder if God is listening to you?  Are there times when you wonder if God really cares about you? 

Matthew 3:16, 17; 4:1

Picture this…Jesus has just been baptized.  A holy dove descends on Him to proclaim Him as the Son of God.  Folks are in awe of what just happened.  They are stunned, amazed.  The Messiah they have been waiting for has been announced.  Jesus is ready to begin his ministry.

But wait – what does God do?  God just said, “This is my Son whom I love.  With Him I am well pleased.”  And then…He sends Jesus into the wilderness to undergo, loneliness, hunger, hardship and to top it off, temptation.  Don’t you find it interesting that the way the Father chose to show love to His Son at the beginning of His ministry was to put him in the desert?  Why did He do that? I think it was so that at the critical beginning of this most important time in history, the most important time in Jesus life, Jesus would learn to depend on the Father; the Father alone.

Perhaps one of the reasons God nudges each of us into a desert of some kind now and then is so that we will learn to depend on Him in new ways.  

When you are in the desert, and we all are there sometimes, be assured, God is there too.  He is listening.  He does care about you, for He says, “See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.”  Isaiah 49:16  I heard somewhere that God says “I will be with you” 365 times in the Bible.  Isn’t that odd – one time for each day of the year.

Here’s one for today! – If you have a Bible, study Isaiah 43: 1-5 or you can read it here:
"But now, O Jacob, listen to the Lord who created you.  O Israel, the one who formed you says, "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you.  I have called you by name, you are mine.  When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.  When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.  When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.  For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.  I gave Egypt a ransom for your freedom; I gave Ethiopia and Seba in your place.  Others were given in exchange for you.  I traded their lives for yours because you are precious to me.  You are honored, and I love you.  Do not be afraid for I am with you.  I will gather your children from east and west."   

I am a teacher so here is your assignment:
Get out a piece of paper, a pencil and scissors – trace and cut out your hand.  Write your name on the palm of the paper hand.  You can write the references if you want.  Isaiah 49:16 & Isaiah 43: 1-5
 
When you are in the desert, take out that paper hand and remember -- you are not alone and you are loved.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment