Monday, April 7, 2014

Angels on the Ice

Angels on the Ice

It is the dead of winter in Chicago.  As I peer out the living room window all I can see is white.  There are huge drifts of snow everywhere.  I take a deep breath!  Driving in the snow is not my favorite thing to do, but I am a teacher.  I need to get to school - I have students waiting to learn new and wonderful things and the day has not been declared a snow day.  So, I bundle up my two young sons, pull on my own boots and we pile in the car.  Off we go, slow and steady.  The roads are icy, but if we take it slow, we'll be fine, I tell myself.  

Heading north on Harlem Avenue, suddenly we hit a patch of ice, the wheels begin to spin and I can feel that we've lost traction.  The car begins to spin and is now sliding sideways and perpendicular to the half dozen cars heading straight toward us.

"Boys," I shout, "PRAY!!"  In the next breath I cry out, "Oh, Jesus, help us!!"

In the very next instant, I feel the car being lifted up off the ground and then ever so gently being set down on the island that separates the northbound and southbound sides of the road.  The car is now facing south, but safely on the island.  After letting out a sigh of relief, and releasing the vise like grip I have on the steering wheel, I look in the back seat to see the boys perfectly fine, a little stunned, but just fine.  Closing my eyes, all I can do is thank my Savior, Jesus.

A good Samaritan has called a tow truck.  The tow truck has to park on the road and is blocking traffic because the island is too high for his truck to get on.  The driver gets out of his truck and begins to look for damage to the car - he looks under it, all around it, he checks the wheels, he checks the axle - there is none - Nada! - No damage anywhere!  He asks me, "Lady, how did you get up here?"

I answer him matter-of-factly - "Jesus had the angels put me up here."  And I believe that.

I called on Jesus for help because I had faith that He could and would help us.  I was counting on Him to do so.  The Bible says in Acts 2:21 and Romans 10:13, "For whoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved." 

I did!

 and He does!

and that's life!

No comments:

Post a Comment